Friday 19 August 2011

Sustainable fish

Using local and sustainable fish is important and a big focus at the restaurant

It can be a bit hard sometimes to get people to eat the lesser known fish, everyone loves the high rollers like bass, turbot, sole even john dory.

Why are the lower end fish not so popular? Is it because the celebrity chefs don't use them as much? When Mr Ramsey used pollock at one restaurant in Brighton everyone started using it and the price jumped from £4-5 pounds per kg to around £9,50 per kg and pollock is now as popular as mackerel.

I went to a food show in London with the family a few months ago and there was two lads cooking with gurnard, horse mackerel and wrasse.

Gurnard I think is the more well known of the three, it is a nice fish and we have used it for a while at the restaurant.

Horse mackerel was a new one for me until a few months before, one of the chefs was talking about it so I asked my supplier who said they mostly use it for bait. It is nothing like mackerel but still a good fish, a little bony though.

And then there was wrasse I had never used before and I loved, looks like a snapper and the flesh is a bit like red mullet. 

Pan roast wrasse with lobster, wild pea, saffron potatoes 


No comments:

Post a Comment